Clerk: Bridget Colosimo
Phone: (517) 483-6313
Clerk's Office - 1st Floor
Veterans Memorial Courthouse
313 W. Kalamazoo Street
Lansing, MI 48933
A procedure which would allow a minor, who is at least 16 years of age, to live on their own when the parents are unable or unwilling to support the minor. The minor must make the request in the form of a petition, and prove the following:
- The minor is at least 16 years old.
- The minor is a resident of Michigan.
- The minor's parent or guardian does not object, or is not providing support of the minor.
- The minor has the ability to manage his/her financial affairs and must have proof of employment or other means of support. (DHS Financial Support does not count).
- The minor has the ability to manage his/her personal and social affairs and must provide proof of housing.
- The minor understands his/her rights and responsibilities as an emancipated minor.